Case Study – Animated Explainers: AARNet
AARNet is a not-for-profit company that provides ultra high-speed Internet and communications services only to Australia’s research and education sector. Their customers are universities, research institutes, cultural organisations, schools and vocational training providers.
Working with this client for over 5 years, we were asked to produce a series of videos that highlighted the benefits of the various technology products on offer, in a light and fun way.
- The messages were to be easy to understand.
- They were to encourage the ‘uptake’ of technologies available to educational institutions.
- They were to be as short as possible, to explain what was needed.
- Technology can be a bit dry and technical – so we decided that animation would give us the biggest scope to illustrate points without being constrained to ‘real world limitations’.
- Humour and lightness help engage the viewer and leave them feeling good about investigating the technology on offer further.
- Hand drawn characters and animation style make the technology seem as user friendly as possible.
- Sound effects and music track to combine with narration add to a rich and interesting delivery.
- A Team encompassing, script writer, producer, audio facility and animator were engaged to do these videos.
After the first animation was completed, the client kept coming back for more over the years! This is testament to the effectiveness of the messages conveyed.
- Some of the videos were re voiced for many parts of the world, with graphics changed to suit.
- There was a good response from the viewers, with a good uptake of the products available to the institutions.
- The videos enabled the sales staff to break the ice with the videos to watch before the info pitch.
- The videos were shown at conferences and tech events.